Pages

The True Journey

The True Journey: what does it truly mean to walk with Jesus, all the way, with no compromise?

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. Matthew 7:13-14

"Do you continue to go with Jesus? The way lies through Gethsemane, through the city gate, outside the camp; the way lies alone, and the way lies until there is no trace of a footstep, only the voice, "Follow Me". ~ Oswald Chambers


My name is Melissa Morris, and my prayer is that through these writings, you will learn about Jesus. And follow Him on the True Journey.


Friday, May 22, 2009

Singing in the rain....thanks Sheila!

On Sunday, May 3rd, 2009, I had an experience that left me again in awe of God's power and orchestration in our lives. I had the honor of presenting a short Sunday morning church service at the 1st Annual Nelson County Relay for Life at Nelson County High School. It was raining cats and dogs off and on, and as I got up to sing, it poured again...but folks were faithful to continue walking and to stand out in the rain and listen...and Nelson County came together and raised over $104,000.00 for cancer research!


It's amazing how we go out and ask God to use us to be a blessing to others, and we are the ones that end up getting blessed. The previous Saturday evening, I had been able to participate in a fund raiser for Relay and was blessed by the testimonies of those who had fought the battle of cancer and had crawled into the arms of Jesus for their strength. One of those people who has touched my heart and changed my life is a wonderful lady named Sheila Layton.


I have pretty much known Sheila my whole life, and we graduated from high school together. Sheila was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 26, and she is a survivor in so many ways. My life reconnected with Sheila's a couple of years ago when I was asked to sing at a church and when I got there, I found out she was a member. When I looked at her, I saw a glow that only comes from loving Jesus. I had heard about her battle with cancer but I had not heard her give her testimony about it. That changed on Saturday, April 25, 2009 when I watched this wonderful soul stand before the crowd and talk about her struggle, and as she told her story, she continually gave God the glory for His strength in her life and His healing power.


Recently, Sheila posted a note on Facebook called "Reflection" - read what she says about her battle with cancer:


"I never could understand why at a time in my life when it did not matter if I lived or died; already dealing with so much pain and hurt that God would allow this to enter into my life, now looking back 12 years I know. I am a better person BECAUSE of cancer. I look at people differently. I try to have empathy and compassion as I don't know what they are dealing with on day to day basis. I am so thankful that God felt I was worthy enough to endure this nasty word. I have learned to say Thank You God for NOT being finished with me yet. That I am important enough that He wants to continue His work in me. I am not perfect and Lord knows I have many minus's, but the best part is that He loves me enough to want to teach me. He suffered for me, why should I not have to suffer??How can we enjoy the view on top if we have never seen the bottom?? Something to think about......"

I think we can all learn from this amazing lady - that morning at Relay, I was singing in the rain. Through Sheila's struggles, she was singing in the rain...singing the praises of God her Father no matter what was falling down around her. I'm a different person from knowing her. I'm a better person from knowing her. And it's all because she gives the glory to God for all that she is and all that she has.

Thank you, Sheila. It's an honor to be your friend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Melissa, I am so humbled by your comments. I AM all that I am BECAUSE of His Saving Grace..He is the reason for my being.He deserves ALL the credit, I am so weak without Him and even more a sinner when He is not ever present in my life..The best part is He loves you and me all the same and He just wants us to be in His Heavenly Family...I appreciate all that you do for Him and He has and will surely Bless you. May you always feel His hand on your life. Thank you for all the nice things you said, but God is the one who deserves the credit. Love-U-N-Faith- (ME)