Pages

The True Journey

The True Journey: what does it truly mean to walk with Jesus, all the way, with no compromise?

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. Matthew 7:13-14

"Do you continue to go with Jesus? The way lies through Gethsemane, through the city gate, outside the camp; the way lies alone, and the way lies until there is no trace of a footstep, only the voice, "Follow Me". ~ Oswald Chambers


My name is Melissa Morris, and my prayer is that through these writings, you will learn about Jesus. And follow Him on the True Journey.


Thursday, April 16, 2009

How Long Will It Be? In Memory of Gene Rohr



God truly works in mysterious ways.

About 2 years ago, I was given a humble gift. I went to church one Wednesday evening and my Sunday School teacher walked up to me and handed me a piece of paper, covered in words. He told me that during his Bible study that day, he had written down some words that the Lord had laid on his heart, and he wanted to give them to me so I could put music to them and make a song. He said, "I don't have money or anything to give you to support your ministry, but I want to give you these words and you take them and do with them what the Lord wants you to do".

This man's name is Gene Rohr and he is probably the most humble person I have ever known in my life. He was a man of few but meaningful words, and his prayers were so humble that Heaven must have rejoiced each time he talked to his Father. The song he gave me is titled "How Long Will It Be?" and several people who knew him said that the words reminded them of his struggles with his health and his desire to see his Lord soon. Gene had not been a Christian long, but he had a powerful faith that most of us can only desire to have. He depended on his Lord for everything in life.

I have had the opportunity to sing this song many times, alone and with a wonderful friend who harmonizes beautifully on the chorus. It was amazing to see his face when we had the chance to sing it for him one Sunday at church. In fact, this past week when we were asked to sing at OBX Baptist Church, this song was one that we sang for the congregation. I told the story of how this song came to be, and tried to explain the heart of the man that wrote those words, but words could not describe what shined through from his heart.

God is definitely the orchestrator of all things - after struggling with his breathing for so long, Gene went home to see his Savior face to face this past Tuesday. I can remember the look of awe he would have some Sunday mornings in Sunday School when we talked about the wonderful promises that God has made to all of us, and I can only imagine the look of awe he had on his face when he saw Jesus face to face. Gene doesn't have to wonder how long it will be anymore - his earthly journey is done, and he is now in Heaven rejoicing with the One he loved so much.

He gave me another poem not long ago called "After The Last Sunset". I know that Gene has seen that last earthly sunset, but opened his eyes to a wonderful Sonrise on Tuesday afternoon!

Thank you, Gene, for teaching us all humility - thank you for teaching me the Word, and for your wonderful gifts of words to sing to praise our Savior! I know I'll miss you, and I look forward to seeing you in Heaven.

A-men.

No comments: